Thursday, January 31, 2008

Arctic Bites Warm Weather

IMG_2305-1This week, on Tuesday, January 29 we experienced a huge temperature drops. We enjoyed 30's and 40's in the afternoon and -10's to -20's that night. The weather service described that an arctic air mass would take a huge bite out of the warm air mass poised over us.

I am dreaming of the summer scene in the first photo.IMG_0941-1

Preceding the low temperatures came moisture. The rain coated the crusty snow, roads, sidewalks. It did not, however, coat the car windshields or decks?

On Wednesday  after enduring a night of -20,my car failed to start for the second time this winter. I waited until later in the day. When the temperature warmed ( to -7) I connected my battery to the Buick via jumper cables and leaned on the starter until the engine caught. (I probably ground another year off the starter).

To assure my car started this morning (although the temperature dropped only to -11, I got up at 2:am and drove around the block to warm it up.

As the wind chill lessens and the temperature warms I can again brave Pine Valley and its cross country ski trails.

0 comments: