Saturday, February 20, 2010

On My Birthday

Each year as February 22 slips by and another of my birthdays, I whisper words of gratitude that my folks avoided naming me after George (or after Owen - my Grandfather).

I could live with the name of my other grandfather: Kasimir -> Charles -> Chuck.

Mr Washington would be 278 years old today. My age doesn't yet approach 3 digits.

The most I gleaned from my parents about the origin of mya name, Kenneth, was, "a friend". Does that mean a friend named Ken or a friend suggested Ken? Oh yes, the name was voguish in '43. Or maybe the News Reels told of a war hero named Kenneth?

Well this Gaelic - Scottish - derived name means 'handsome' or 'born of fire' according to the experts.


Born of Fire: an early photo shows me in the arms of my sailor father, who is going off to war. Fits.

Handsome:
My folks got that correct!!

Alas, apart from the Ken of Ken & Barbie fame, I can't think of any 'Ken' Celebrities!

0 comments: