Friday, April 20, 2007

Thoughts about Obituaries

Lake Superior
A Bench by the Harbor -


I love Lake Superior. I took this photograph just a few days after our last snow. (We hope!) This bench sits close to the Duluth Aquarium.
I like the peace of this picture. Not a footprint in sight.




IMG_1072-1
Originally uploaded by cageyj.
I must attend a funeral this afternoon. The funeral raised these thoughts.




To be honest, I have entered the Funeral and Obituary Season of my life. Death no longer takes just Uncles, Aunts and Parents, but now cousins and friends.

I should read the obituaries. Mom read them until she died. She called when propriety required attendance at a funeral. Now my siblings and I muddle along hoping to catch them all.

True, newspapers make it easier. I can check the obits electronically. I can sign the guestbook of a friend in Fort Wayne from the comfort of my Cloquet office. Still I must remember to log in each day. Its useless to batch read obituaries a month at a time.

What do we really need? Automatic, email notification. I envision it this way.

I log on to the local newspaper and enter all those names I wish to track. When my cousin's husband, Fred, dies an email will tell me!

Yes, I see some technical problems. What if the family of my friend Dick Smith publishes his name as Richard. I think technology can handle it.


The Obit Notification may give me a number of false positives. It could email me about the Dick Smith who lives in Superior not the Dick Smith who lives in Duluth.

IMG_1852

However, better too many notifications than missing an important funeral.

I have not solved one difficulty, however: Competition. Can you imagine graybeards my age at local bars and coffee shops. "Well, I have 56 people who are watching for my death. How many do you have?"






Ken

0 comments: