Monday, April 23, 2007

Reflections - A New Hobby


IMG_1326-1
Originally uploaded by cageyj.
I tripped over Geocashing this weekend.

I purchased a hand held global positioning navigation unit last week (GPS). I plan hike in the area around Grand Portage up the North shore of Lake Superior. I hope to follow Old Highway 61 to the abandoned border crossing. I wanted easy (and high tech) access to topographical maps.

I discovered that people hide caches for others to find. (Another wonderful use for watertight Tupperware containers.) Web Sites dedicated to Geocaching list caches and allow you to track what you find.

My son and I went to search for a couple locations close home. We found the places easily but discovering the hiding spot took more time. He found the first cache just after we decided to give up.

Combing the listings on the Geocache site, I realize I have walked over, around, or near caches for years without knowing it.

I love the out-of-doors. Geocaching should be a wonderful addition to hiking with my cameras.

0 comments: