Thursday, May 10, 2007

Plum Aroma


CRW_6196-1
Originally uploaded by cageyj.

The white blossoms on my golden plum tree popped today. The heavy sweet aroma of plum blossoms fills my yard. Vintners labor to impart a hint of this aroma to wines. Plum perfume floods my backyard at no cost which is considerably cheaper than $20 to $25 per bottle.

The warm weather also swelled the blossoms on the purple plum tree. They should open within a few days. Overlapping blossoms of these two different plum trees greatly improves chances for fruit in September. Last year I had so many, the neighbors each got a large bag. My family could not eat them all before they spoiled. Too many fresh plumbs 'unsettles' the digestive system.

However I need bees or bugs to flit from three to tree with the pollen. Unfortunately news accounts say that bees are in short supply.

Pin Cherry and other shrubs blossom in sync with these plumbs. I paddled my canoe around a small lake yesterday. I saw white puffs of blossoms throughout the woods clearly visible since the trees ad not yet fully leafed out.

However, nothing smells like the plums.

(This morning the shifting wind brought the smoky smell of the Ham Lake fire which masked the aroma of the blossoms.)

0 comments: