Friday, January 02, 2009

Siskins and Chickadees

Two types of birds frequent my feeders this winter: Pine SiskinsPine Siskins and, of course, Chickadees. I fill my feeders with sunflower seeds. Pine Siskins and Chickadees love them.

The Siskins visit the feeders in a mob. However Siskin culture seems to allow only one bird per perch. Incoming birds try to force the current occupant away. Siskins eat with a lot of waste. I am unsure whether they CRW_6606-01are careless or generous, providing seeds which fall to the ground for the bottom feeders: squirrels. Siskins eat right at the feeder.

Chickadees swoop in take a seed and fly away to eat it in private. Often I see Chickadees ‘cleaning’ their beaks by rubbing each side on the branch where they are perched. Pine Siskins either have no such need or no manner compelling them to wipe their mouths clean after eating.CRW_6605-01

The birds who visit my feeders vary from year to year. A couple of years ago I had lots of these Purple Finches.

The first picture shows a couple of Pine Siskins. Picture #2 shows a female Purple Finch (I believe. The last picture shows a male Purple Finch.

0 comments: