Sunday, January 04, 2009

Snowed Off the Sidewalks

Two things mark this new year of 2009.

The Deep Snows of DecemberThirty-nine inches of snow have forced me off the sidewalks and ‘onto the street’ for my morning walks. Some folks clear their sidewalks. However, in the last couple days, the plows have raised large banks which must be climbed to get to the sidewalk. Each winter is the same for someone walking: unploughed sidewalks. This year it begins earlier than most.IMG_4403.jpg

Fortunately, snowmobiles have packed down some trails which Lila, my dog, I can use to keep us off the street.

My son passed the diving test on the last day of 2008, December 31st. Now he has his Driver’s License and is ‘on the street’ for a different reason. That event is a milestone of freedom for every young person.

This morning I slept in. I grabbed my snowshoes and took Lila for a walk just at dusk. A quarter moon in a clear sky illuminated the new snowshoe trail I set through the swamp. After a short walk the biting winds forced me home. The temperature started its plunge to -20 F tonight. Winter certainly marks the beginning of 2009.

0 comments: